March 23, 2013

I'M ME..OR AM I REALLY?

I've decided to focus my theme on Memories for my last project.
However, I've been facing a problem; memories are intangible, and my task was to make the invisible, visible. 

How could I achieve this, if all I had to go by was my own deceptive mind? This is why I appealed to photographs which took me one step closer to revisiting various memories I had in the past. 

Whilst talking to my tutor, I picked up the following photograph which I had claimed to have remembered quite well:


My tutor asked me what it was that I remembered, and I explained that I had been out that day for Notting Hill Carnival, and that this was also, maybe, the day that I had an accident in the church behind me there in the photo...

"Yes, but do you actually remember being there, right in that spot, having your photo taken? do you remember the balloon you were holding, the colour of the skirt you were wearing, or the shoes?"

His questions at first, confused me. But when considering whether at that very moment I remembered any of those things, I didn't. It was the essence of the photograph which I had remembered; the brief moments throughout that day.

He carried on;

"Was that you in the photograph?"

"Of course!"

"Was it really you. Are you the very same person as you were then? or have you changed? Do you feel like that 5 year old, or are you a completely different being?" 

Talk about a deep conversation! 

But I considered again, and later after talking to a friend about this issue, I came to the conclusion that I have changed, as everyone does; physically and mentally I am NOT the same as I was in the past, but when reflecting on my 5 year old self, and the memories linked to it, I am thinking like a child; I AM that 5 year old in the way that I act and think. 

Here, i've drawn an image of myself as I would in the present, with the skills that I have now.


I then tried to imagine a younger version of myself, that constantly drew in picture books;



I will be experimenting in various ways to try and recapture my old memories by placing MYSELF within them, and using photographs as an initial starting point.






No comments:

Post a Comment